The scholarships amount to a monthly sum of 1365 EUR plus a flat fee for material and travel costs of 103 EUR (as of Jan. 1, 2013). The scholarships are supplemented by an allowance for children if the PhD student raises a child/children (cf. DFG Verwendungsrichtlinien Graduiertenkollegs, document no. 2.22 and 2.22a, >>).
Before obtaining any paid or unpaid part-time employment, the PhD student is required to obtain the prior consent of his/her supervisor as well as the approval of the IGK committee (cf. supervisor agreement). The amount of the scholarship remains unaffected if additional income is earned by academic part-time work and does not exceed 6,000 EUR per year (cf. DFG Verwendungsrichtlinien Graduiertenkollegs, document no. 2.22, >>).
PhD students holding a scholarship will need to attend to health insurance coverage themselves since the approval of a scholarship does not constitute an employment and will not cover for health, unemployment, or retirement insurance throughout the funding period (cf. approval notification).
PhD students holding a scholarship are covered by an accident insurence while working on campus (cf. Unfallversicherung für Personen ohne Beschäftigungsverhältnis mit der FU Berlin >>).
- Informational leaflet // Merkblatt
- Policy on fellowships // Stipendienrichtlinien
- Sample approval notification // Musterstipendienbescheid
- Formal application from the applicant including a cover letter, motivation and a short research plan (please contact the PI in advance to coordinate the possible research project and to get support for the formal application)
- CV (preferably in English)
- Letter of recommendation and list of qualification goals (defined for each 3-month period) written by the PI
- Personal data (Personaldaten)
- Declaration of consent (Einverständniserklärung)
- Supervisor agreement // Betreuungsvereinbarung (to be filled out after approval of the fellowship by the IGK committee)
All documents as of Oct 31, 2013. Original templates are to be found on the German website of the FU administration - Division VI: Research - Service for research funding >>.